Year In Focus

Every year I take a look back at what's happened over the last twelve months. This year hardly seems worth it, evidently I've done nothing of any consequence. It actually made me a little sad to realise that I'd gotten all the way to December without a real, personal, event. I've decided the only way to do this is to look back at the fun events, at least there were lots of those!

So there were lots of outings, not all entirely cultural! We saw Micky Flanagan, Bill Bailey, a midnight showing of The Worlds End [rather a disappointment but never mind!]. Slightly more on the cultural side I went to see my friend in concert with the local orchestra, Last Night Of The Proms and a couple of others, then there was a concert at Glyndebourne that we barely managed to stay awake through.

Technically this was at the end of the year before but I joined a gym... I went a lot... then I went a lot less. I'm still going for the next month but I'll spare you the mini rant about that.

I got Windows 8, I then learnt to hate Windows 8... I'm sorry but I'm not willing to argue about this with anyone, it's pointless, essentially now I have two desktops!

On a slightly more life changing level [not mine but still!] my best friend got engaged. It's about time, I've been waiting for this to happen for years! So wedding plans have begun and that's its own little fun ball of chaos! Needless to say I've cried a lot, through joy, and will cry a lot more.

Sharknado... it was awesome, it gets a line to itself, I'm so happy I had it in my life!

Lots of DIY, I learnt how to lay and insulate a wooden floor and how to damp proof a wall. Also how to use a jack hammer... and from this how to inhale a lifetimes worth of dust in an hour and then feel like you've got a brick wall settled in your chest. The painting portion of the decoration was much more my style! Next time I've just got my name down for the aesthetic parts of the job.

I discovered duck in a tin from France... and this then became our mission... go to France and buy duck in a tin. Three of us hit Calais, I did not drive, I don't need the confusion of driving on the opposite side of the road in my life! We went on the ferry, which wasn't very sensible considering I'm no good on boats! We had a laugh, our friend showing off his French skills everywhere we went and us taking the piss out of our friend using his French skills everywhere we went. It always amazes me that you can walk into a supermarket in another country and you have that moment of standing in awe about the wonders it holds... we have them at home... they're pretty much the same except this one has words you don't recognise! So some booze, some chocolates and some duck [both fresh and tinned] later and we were back on the road again. Dark now, but it's okay as the car has been equipped with those little reflectors, along with the reflective jackets, triangle, GB sticker and breathalyzers. This trip we also learnt that satnav is a bitch... just because a route is shorter on paper doesn't mean it is physically shorter!

So to round of the year there was Christmas. We had it at my Mum and Dad's house this year and my uncle came down with the dog. It was a nice, small, fun affair this year. Not small enough for my liking though as I said I'd cook it this year... oh the panic! But, with Mum in charge of the brussells and yorkshire puddings [basically in charge of all the food named after placed... she did the ported stilton too], we managed to get everything on the table with very little trauma. Boxing Day was a different matter... I suffered a lot of trauma that day! Although over the whole two days I did only nearly chop off one finger, so that was an achievement. Note to any amateur chefs out there... new mini blender blades are sharp.

Well that's it, nothing life changing happened to me. Maybe next year, although to be honest, I'm not all that worried about it. I made it through the year more or less intact and that's all that matters.

Here's to another year, whether something fantastic happens or you just make it through... really, at the end of the day, either one is an achievement.

P.S. Just because I can't finish anything seriously and that last sentence felt a bit deep for my liking. My favourite spur of the moment joke of 2013. "I've just eaten two chocolate choux buns... well chouxs always come in pairs right?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost

So You've Seen Deadpool...