Troublesome Words


Scrabble, in all their infinite wisdom, have added some new... well, let's call them "words"... into the official Scrabble vocabulary. It hasn't gone down well with some people, I can't say I'm bothered either way... but since seeing the list I have added a few new words into my vocab.

The list goes partly like this... for ease of use the word will come first, definition second, my opinion/waffle afterwards.

Bezzy - best friend - I'm fine with this one, I do however think this is probably out of the Liverpool regional edition of the Scrabble Dictionary.

Cakeages - charges in a restaurant for serving cake brought in from outside - What sort of a**hole places charge you to bring in a cake? Never been to one, would probably walk out if they dared to try.

Cakehole - mouth - As in "shut your cakehole"... how is this not already in there? I use it frequently.

Dench - excellent - Whaaaaaaaaat? [Please imagine me standing slack jawed staring at this one] I've heard the word hench, not that I know how to correctly use it in a sentence. Ahhh wait! It must be a comparison to Dame Judy Dench being excellent... right, totally on board with this one now.

Devo - short for devolution - I've heard of the abbreviation of definitely to defo but never this one... I don't think the sort of people who use the word devolution in conversations are the sort of people who abbreviate like that.

Geocache - searching for hidden containers using GPS as a recreational activity - I do this and go out geocaching but isn't it the name of the organisation? I thought names weren't allowed?

Lolz - laughs at someone else's or one's own expense - If you're spelling it with a Z I really feel like it should be "lulz", S would be correct I think, but either way... NO!

Newb - newbie - I use this one... I approve... not sure that's much of an endorsement though!

Obvs - obviously - Well obvs!

Onesie - one-piece garment combining a top with trousers - Yet again, this one is fine with me.

Podiumed - past tense of to podium, to finished in the top three places in a competition - Surely these people "placed" or weren't they trying to say people "medalled" at one point... although I supposed that sounds a bit to dubious now! I'm sorry, but outside of this post I'm never going to say someone podiumed.

Ridic - ridiculous - While I like this one, and this has been added to my vocab... I'm not convinced about it.

Shizzle - a form of US rap slang - "Fo' shizzle", I do say this occasionally for the "lolz".

Shootie - type of shoe that covers the ankle - Or... boots... or hi-tops... who on Earth is using this word?

Thanx - thank you - Sheer laziness people! We shouldn't reward this with Scrabble points.

Tuneage - music - If they'd put "tuuuune" in... to be said while pointing a finger at the DJ/speaker/iPod then I'd have said yes. I think that is the appropriate number of "U"s in there... I guess it depends on how much you like the song that's on.

Wuz - non-standard spelling of was - No. Nope. Nu-uh. Might have let this in if the description of the word had included the rhyme "fuzzy wuzzy wuz a bear", but even that would have been wrong... but at least I'd have laughed.

Hashtag - a word or phrase preceded by a hashmark on Twitter, used to denote the topic of a post - As this is a symbol I'm surprised that the word isn't already in the Scrabble Dictionary. #ridic

Showrooming - practice of looking at an item in a shop, using a smartphone to compare its price elsewhere, then buying it online - What?! Please. I would think this is actually one of the definitions of eBaying... never heard of showrooming before.

Tweep - person who uses Twitter - Nope.

Cazh - casual - I say this, never knew how it was spelt until now.

Cinq - number 5 - I don't believe anyone when speaking in English uses this instead of the word five.

Paczki round, filled doughnut - Or... doughnut...

There were others obvs, but these were the ones that amused me. Can't wait to see what they try and add next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

So You've Seen Deadpool...

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost