Kim Reaper: Grim Beginnings

This one was a bit out of the blue, searching through new titles for our February catalogue I came across this cute looking cover and when I was Googling for more information I discovered it was on Netgalley... so of course that was going to get read straight away!



Kim Reaper: Grim Beginnings by Sarah Graley


Kim is like any other university student trying to get by, she's found herself a part-time job to help make the rent. But it's not quite that simple. When she leaves a lecture the only things she needs to do to get to work is get out her scythe and open a portal there. Kim is a part-time grim reaper.

Becka has noticed Kim in class, the beautiful gothic angel has caught her eye and she's hatching a plan to meet her properly. That plan goes slightly awry when she chases after her and ends up in Kim's portal to work.

This little mishap leads to all sorts of chaos, one not quite dead cat, one fully dead cat-dad, some vengeful zombies, and a bunch of grim reapers just trying to get everything back the way it should be.



Right off the bat it appeals. A cute cover with a lingering threat of murder and mayhem? Erm, yes please! Apart from the short blurb I'd read I wasn't sure what I was getting myself in for, but I do love a grim reaper so what did I have to lose?

It is a very fast paced read, particularly at the beginning when you get swept up in Becka's infatuation with Kim. It's a rollercoaster, and I'm not just talking about the one at Space Land. Becka is erratic and then calm in quick succession through the pages, and while Kim has those moments too, they're a lot more on the calm side. They balance out well as a couple which does slow down the story to a more manageable speed.

The illustrations throughout are really fun and work well to keep the story going. Something heavier and more "traditional" (I'm using that word, but I'm not quite sure it's the one I want) wouldn't have worked with the tale this book is telling.

Everything from page one in this is quirky, and it was lovely to find an LGBT title that doesn't just have something thrown in for the sake of it. Having it as a running theme that didn't stick out like a sore thumb made a really pleasant change.

I liked the ending on this one too, and I'm pleased to see that the website says Kim Reaper will be back later this year. This wonderful little supernatural adventure leaves you with a pleasant feeling inside, and just a little bit of dread and worry about what's to come... but in a good way. I can't wait to see the next installment.

★★★★☆

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

So You've Seen Deadpool...

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost