Are You Sitting Comfortably?

Then I'll begin.

Once upon a time there was a woman who loved to read. She had books everywhere, as far as the eye could see, until one sad day when she moved. All her beautiful books were packed into brown boxes and sealed up to be transported across the country. The woman moved to a small flat with nowhere to put up shelves so her books stayed in their brown boxes and were hidden under her bed until the magical day she could bring them out.

The End.

Unfortunately for me that's no fairy tale. Those boxes are under my bed and the only books I have out are cook books and the few I've brought since moving in. I just haven't been in the mood to read, lucky I supposed as they're stuck under my bed.

Instead of the usual 10 minute round trip commute I now commute for over an hour every day. I don't like reading a book on the bus, it gets so packed that on the trip home I usually stand which means it isn't easy to read. So I made the switch to audio books. I have a lot that I haven't listened to so it seemed like a good idea.

I've listened to the whole Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, I'd read the first two books and seen the films but the last three were new to me. It was really great to listen to them, I got swept away with the adventure. I've only seen the films a couple of times and I could listen to it using my imagination instead of seeing the actors from the films.

I just finished the first Harry Potter, and while it was great hearing the whole story again I couldn't help but see Daniel Radcliffe et al after having seen the films so much... not because I overly love them but because every time a new one was coming out I was made to watch all the ones that had come before it.

While listening to Percy Jackson I was amused, the guy reading them has a very odd decision over accents, some which seem to be amusingly and stereotypically racist. Harry Potter with Stephen Fry reading it is wonderful, it's a shame about the background noise of actors.

I've also been listening to Ian Fleming, the stories make a fantastic movie but listening to them was quite eye opening. My particular favourite so far was "these blithering women who think they can do men's work... the silly bitch." I stopped listening to Live And Let Die after finding it really irritating listening to the N-word so much. It was written in 1954, it's amazing how much things have changed.

I don't know what to listen to next. I can obviously swap to the second Harry Potter. Or I can get another series off iTunes, but what? Decisions decisions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost

So You've Seen Deadpool...