Top Films To See In 2016

In my last post I said I was going to attempt to see half of my must see movies of the year, so it makes sense to share them with you. I'm sure you'll be screaming at me for missing something out... but that's the beauty of making your own list, on your own blog... it doesn't have to appeal to everyone!

So here are my 31 picks for the year, some must see ones and some I feel like I need to see even though I'm not convinced they'll be that good.

January


22nd - 5th Wave - Four alien attacks leave the world decimated, can Cassie save her younger brother? Starring Chloe Grace Moretz and Liev Schreiber.

February


5th - Dad's Army - Star studded cast including Catherine Zeta-Jones, Bill Nighy and Michael Gambon [among many others] bring the small screen TV series to the big screen. This is one that I want to see because there are so many good actors in it. Trailer looks good, but you never can tell... it could be an abomination.


10th - Deadpool - A new class of superhero, starring Ryan Reynolds. I didn't really know anything about Deadpool before the films was announced, but it looks like it should be good, the funnier superhero films are usually good. I love Ryan Reynolds, and he does comedy well... but... well, we don't talk about Green Lantern.


11th - Pride & Prejudice & Zombies - The elegant ladies of Jane Austen defend their honour against the undead. The book was fantastic, I mean what can be wrong about a film with period costumes, zombies and samurai sword wielding women?


12th - Zoolander 2 - Derek and Hansel are modelling again when an opposing company attempts to take them out of the business. This has purely gone on the list because I want to see Mr Cucumberpatch as a model.

18th - Home for Peculiar Children - Jacob finds Miss Peregrine;s School for Peculiar Children abandoned on a mysterious island. He discovers the children possessed incredible powers and that they might still be alive. Another book adaptation, it is currently in my TBR, looks like I'm going to have to move it closer to the top.

26th - Cell - This date came from Wikipedia so I'm not sure that it's accurate. Cell phone signals cause apocalyptic chaos. Based on Stephen King's novel. I brought this book when it came out because I really liked the sound of the storyline, but as yet I still haven't read it. It makes me really worried to watch it as after Under The Dome I have the fear that two minutes from the end it's going to go "Ta-da! It was aliens!"

March


4th - London Has Fallen - A plot is uncovered for a mass assassination as the worlds leaders come together for the Prime Minister's funeral in London. Really enjoyed Olympus has Fallen so this is a must see for me, it's been a while since anything was destroyed in London during a film!

25th - Batman V Superman Dawn of Justice - Starring Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill. Two guys have a testosterone fuelled fight. Every one was up in arms when Ben Affleck was announced as the new Batman. I think we're all just going to have to forget that it's him.. "Ben Affleck is playing Bruce Wayne... who's playing Batman?" We'll just pretend that the mask really does help hide his identity.


25th - Zootropolis - A fast-talking fox is framed for a crime and being tailed by Zootropia's top cop rabbit. These natural enemies must team up when they both become targets of a conspiracy. I was sold on this one when I saw the trailer.


April


15th - Jungle Book - You know the story, bit darker than the bum-shaking bear version. This one is on the list because I feel like I need to see it, whether I got to the cinema or wait for the DVD, I don't know.

22nd - The Huntsman - Two evil sisters prepare to conquer the land, and two renegades must stop them. Haven't seen the Snow White and The Huntsman, so I should probably do that, this one got a pass in the hopes that Hemsworth appears with his shirt off.

29th - Captain America Civil War - Two guys have a testosterone fuelled fight... wait... that sounds familiar. Of course I'm going to see this but I'm not really sure about the storyline.

May


19th - X-Men Apocalypse - Can the X-Men defeat Apocalypse's extinction level event? Another no brainer... I'll be going to see this one.


26th - Alice Through The Looking Glass - Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp reprise their roles in this second movie, also starring Anne Hathaway and Alan Rickman. I really want this one to be better than the first one... went to see it for my Mum's birthday in 3D, I didn't pay for the ticket and I still felt like I'd been ripped off.

June


10th - The Boss - A jailed Melissa McCarthy must reinvent herself as America's sweetheart. Also starring Peter Dinklage and Kirtsen Bell. Melissa McCarthy does some fantastic comedy, not really sure about the storyline on this one, but I'll give it a go as she's in it.

24th - Independence Day Resurgence - Earth's new space defences are tested by a solar threat. Hmm... it needs to be excellent or I might cry, the original is one of my go to films when I can't decide what to watch.


24th - Secret Life of Pets - Max and Duke must work together to stop Snowball the white bunny and an army of abandoned pets. I get a very Cats and Dogs vibe from this film and I like it, plus the trailer was good too. Illumination had super success with Despicable Me and Minions, looks like some good things are going to come from them.


July


1st - Central Intelligence - After reuniting with an old friend, an accountant is lured into the world of international espionage. Starring Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart. I have to confess that I really like Johnson in comedy things, this film will be one of my guilty pleasures.

8th - Legend of Tarzan - Tarzan is called back to the jungle. Starring Alexander Skarsgard and his 6-pack [although honestly it looks more like an 8-pack]. The reason I want to see this one? Tarzan is a good adventure story... and this picture...


12th - BFG - Big Friendly Giant, does what it says on the tin. A Roald Dahl classic, note sure it needed to be remade, but I suppose they like to make things more modern to attract more viewers.

15th - Ghostbusters - Who really needs a description on this one. Starring Chris Hemsworth, Kirstin Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Sigourney Weaver and Dan Aykroyd. Who knows how this is going to go... but there are some really good people in it.


22nd - Star Trek Beyond - IMDB has the description listed as "The plot is unknown at this time." But no one cares, we're still going to see it.


29th - Ice Age Collision Course - Scrat sets off a series of cosmic events that transform and threaten the planet. I watched all the rest, and I do love Scrat, but this might be another one that I wait to see on DVD.

August


5th - Suicide Squad - Supervillains are recruited to run black ops missions. Bringing some of our favourite love-to-hate them characters to the silver screen. Duh, shut up and take my money!


12th - Pete's Dragon - A young boy and his pet dragon. This is on the list because it made me angry... I will go and see it, and if it is terrible I will be throwing my popcorn at the screen and booing.

September


23rd - Magnificent Seven - Seven old west gun men band together to save a village from a gang of thieves. Starring Chris Pratt, Matt Bomer and Denzel Washington. Didn't know about this one until I was surfing for films today, but it looks good.


October


7th - Gambit - Plot unknown but it's another Marvel character movie, this one starring Channing Tatum. This is a bit of a vague one, but it's Marvel so it automatically gets a pass. But I'm very unsure about this one, I'm getting Green Lantern vibes.

28th - Doctor Strange - A surgeon is taken under the wing of a sorcerer and is trained to defend the world from evil. Another character I'm not very familiar with, but it's superhero and Cumberbatch so it gets a pass. Here's a little history for you, it might contain some spoilers.


November


18th - Fantastic Beasts - 70 years before Harry Potter reads his book, we follow Newt Scamander on his adventures in New York. What can I say about this one? It's getting a pass because it's Rowling but I have to say that the trailer I saw contained nothing of interest. If I wasn't into the whole Harry Potter world, then that trailer really wouldn't have held anything of interest for me.


December


30th - Assassin's Creed - Lynch explores the memories of his ancestor Aguilar and gains the skills of a Master Assassin, he discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassin's society. This isn't necessarily my sort of thing but I've seen some pictures and I'm willing to give it a go. Action, Fassbender and more action, can't really go wrong there.

So that's my watching for this year. I'm sure there will be some I've forgotten or that appear out of nowhere that might need to be squeezed in... but for now, those will keep me going. Do let me know if you think I've missed anything groundbreaking, otherwise, happy watching!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

So You've Seen Deadpool...

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost