Flying To The Theatre

Last night I went to the theatre with nine people I'd never met before. Possibly one of the most random things I've done in a while. Long story short I was pimped out by a friend for social events. But as it turns out I'd have missed something truly amazing had I not gone.

Another first for me in Bristol, first trip the the Bristol Old Vic. It's a lovely quaint theatre with such wonderful little touches that I couldn't help but smile. Thread bare carpets as you walk through to your seats that make you wonder who has walked there before you. But possibly my favourite thing to do in a theatre... the complete opposite of the carpets... look up when you're in your seat. Why is the ceiling always so beautiful? I'm sure there's a reason for it but if I spend my time Googling it I'll never get this written. The last thing that I'll say about the décor in the Old Vic is the picture on the right... Original 18th century seating. There's not a chance you would have seen anything from these seats but I just love that they're still there.

So... to the play!


Owning up time... I agreed to go to this before I even knew what it was about. I'd brought the ticket and I still had no idea what I was going to see. It wasn't like I was living on the edge and going in blind to enjoy the surprise, I truly didn't get anything useful from the first description I read!

The Flying Lovers Of Vitebsk is the story of Marc and Bella Chagall. The Flying Lovers themselves share their romance and life with us as they make their way through a time of devastating history.

I know that's a very short synopsis but it does exactly what it says on the tin.

My seat was restricted view but luckily (well hopefully) I didn't miss too much. I was aware that I was mainly missing the view of the talented musical folk, they did wander to the rest of the stage occasionally so it wasn't just disembodied twinkling to me.

I'm always amazed how actors can make so much out of so little, mainly focused around a small central stage with a structure for the actors to fly around and minimal props (and some great invisible door work) the story really did come to life.


It wasn't until the intermission when we were looking in the programme that we really identified the reason for some of the wonderful flowing movements and slightly odd (out of context) positions the actors were getting into. Each of those moments in the first half that had left me with a pause for thought were recreations of moments in Chagall's paintings, and they were beautiful when you knew what you were looking for... just goes to show, I should really do more research before I go to something!

As if all this stuff wasn't enough, I was treated to some of the best singing I'd ever heard. With the music in the background and both of the stars singing together I was getting goosebumps. It doesn't happen very often, I'll listen to some things, get a slight shiver and think "this singer has got something." These two though, every time they sang together I was enthralled. In fact, thinking about it, the only other time I've been that thrilled about singing was when I was watching the opera and I sat crying along with the performance.

If you can go and see it then you must. They're playing from now until the end of July in various different places. I've been reliably informed that the theatre company always put on a great show so I'm sure it won't be the last performance of theirs that I see. It certainly won't be the last performance I see at the Old Vic, I've already ear-marked other things in their season catalogue to go to.

So off you go random internet peeps, go and get your tickets. Maybe I'll see you there.

www.kneehigh.co.uk
www.bristololdvic.org.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost

So You've Seen Deadpool...