Movies Of 2018 - July Recapped!

July, the month of heatwaves and extortionately high electricity bills that we thought we were over now the heating was off. But on the plus side... those cinema screens are air conditioned! The listings felt a little light this month but I still managed to get more than my fair share of films in.


The First Purge ★★★★☆


After the rise of a third political party, the New Founding Fathers of America, an experiment is conducted, no laws for 12 hours on Staten Island. No one must stay during the experiment yet there is $5,000 for anyone who does.


Colour me pleasantly surprised by this one. I'd never really fancied the others, and honestly, still not bothered with them. But I wouldn't mind seeing this one again. I think it's mainly the idea of the origin story that interested me more, and it doesn't disappoint on that for me.

It showed something more than just a horror action flick. There were moments of community and loyalty, and it showed that even a bad guy can see the difference between right and wrong. Probably not in the best way to use as a teachable moment... but still.

Of course there's a lot of violence, but none that made me particularly queasy. I've picked up some more tips for the apocalypse, getting a solid grounding in self-defence from films recently. (Joking! Of course I wouldn't use anything I'd seen... but don't test me just to be one the safe side.) [04/07]


Uncle Drew ★★★☆☆


After losing his basketball team to his arch enemy, Dax must find himself some new players. It's time for him to meet Uncle Drew and his all-star team.


My not at all guilty pleasure is sports films. Love them. The trailers for this brought a smile to my face and I still can't see the title without hearing it as "Unclllllleee Dreeeeeeew" in my head.

While I enjoyed it, I was left a little disappointed. It was definitely amusing and seeing Uncle Drew and his team of OAPs (old-age players) was very funny. But the rest of the goings on left it a bit flat for me.

The dance off had me smiling and dancing in my seat. That was probably the redeeming feature. [06/07]


Ocean's 8 [10/07]


Hotel Artemis - Unlimited Screening ★★★★½


Set in riot-torn, near-future Los Angeles, 'Hotel Artemis' follows the Nurse, who runs a secret, members-only emergency room for criminals.


Hmm... I don't know. I really enjoyed this film...

The cast was brilliant. Sterling K. Brown and Jodie Foster were excellent. Dave Bautista always with the lovable tough guy. And who doesn't like watching Sofia Boutella beat the hell out of people?! I even loved Goldblum's short appearance in it, his slightly eccentric style wasn't too overpowering on everything that was going on and he worked really well as the big bad.

My main objection, and I think the reason I didn't give this the last half star, is Zachary Quinto. I wouldn't actively avoid anything with him in it... It's not like I have a choice when he's in Star Trek. But he just didn't sit right in this character for me. Yes I understand that he's supposed to be having a bit of a power trip and isn't in any way like his father, but it felt like he was in a completely different film to everyone else.

I found it genuinely enjoyable to watch, and I'll certainly see it again. Although yet again as I've been writing this I'm wavering on my score. In any case, it would still be at least four stars. I'm definitely not in enough doubt that I'm going to go and change it. [10/07]


Swimming With Men ★★★☆☆


A man who is suffering a mid-life crisis finds new meaning in his life as part of an all-male, amateur synchronised swimming team.


As this wasn't on at my local Cineworld I defected to Vue to see this one.

First I'm going to waffle about the cinema. Skip to the next paragraph if you're wanting to read more of my waffle about films! 13 screens over at Longwell Green Vue, a plethora of eateries, including the cinema staples of Frankie & Benny's and Chiquitos. For such a large cinema I was surprised that there were only two members of staff, neither were rude, but neither particularly won me over. The screen I was in was massive and had plush seats (but it should be noted that they weren't as nice as the plush at Cineworld Crawley), but they were slightly less than practical. Also, random note... the toilets were surprisingly far off the ground... and I'm 5'9 so it isn't like I'm particularly short! Perhaps the people of Longwell Green are notoriously tall? The main thing I took away from my visit was that tickets were only £5.74 if you booked online, £4.99 if you brought them on the door, and £3.99 if you went on a Monday. All an amazing bargain so I'll definitely be going back to see films that aren't on at my local rather than hauling ass over to another Cineworld.

Back to the film...

There's some great talent in this one, and despite not being overly fond of Rob Brydon I found him to be a good lead. I'm not going to deny that the main highlight for me was Rupert Graves. *sigh* If someone wants to just make a cut of all the bits he's in, I wouldn't object.

In the same vein as Walk Like A Panther and The Full Monty you've got a rag-tag bunch of people who just want to do something to make everything better. And that tale alone is always an entertaining one to watch. 

So glad that I went to see this, and I'm glad I've found somewhere to go that includes some of the excess that my cinema doesn't show. I did make a little complaint at my cinema. They put on Walk Like A Panther at our "family" cinema with no problems, this film is pretty much the same sort of film... but more than that... you made me sit through The Leisure Seekers!! I can't even right now! [11/07]


Skyscraper 3D ★★★★☆


A father goes to great lengths to save his family from a burning skyscraper.


A lot of people in the last couple of days had been saying "it's The Rock's Die Hard!" and I just went, meh, sure it is... but it is. The only thing it's missing is Christmas... and a vest top that adjusts to it's surroundings.

This one does what it says on the tin, it's a genuinely enjoyable watch. Despite the fact you know bits from the trailer and you know what's going to happen because, well, that's what these movies do, you are still on the edge of your seat with the action. Some laughs as well as the action made for a very fun watch.

Much like Rampage, I will be seeing this one when I need to get out of doing housework (and now the heat) and I'm out of new films to see.

On the Die Hard note... yep... some bits are carbon copies of it, but the villain will never live up to Hans Gruber. He was nowhere near as entertaining and his accent was way too believable.

A hat trick for Dwayne Johnson here: Jumanji Welcome To The Jungle, Rampage and now Skyscraper. He's involved in some very entertaining films these days and I can't wait for the next one. [12/07]


Incredibles 2 3D [13/07]

Nip over and see my waffle on last month's recap for my childlike glee at seeing this at the Secret Unlimited Screening.


Mission: Impossible: Fallout + Q&A Session ★★★★☆



Ethan Hunt and his IMF team, along with some familiar allies, race against time after a mission gone wrong.



This situation just goes to show why you should pay attention to all sorts of social media. Our Cineworld ran a competition on their Facebook page to win tickets to see this one early and I was so close to missing it. Yes I already had tickets booked to see the double bill... but that had become even more difficult to consider going to. It starts at 9pm on 24th July and obviously goes through to the early hours, that is fine on it's own but Cineworld had also announced an Unlimited Screening on before it... in my old age I was just grateful to have the opportunity not to stay up all night!

Let me talk about the situation for a moment. We were told to get there for 6pm. As you can see, I arrived earlier and saw The Incredibles 2 again before hand. The preamble was long and drawn out. As it turned out the programmed Q&A and movie weren't due to start until 7.45pm, but we were told we would be able to see the red carpet coverage. Had it not been shown to be pre-recorded and edited for our viewing... given away by hearing the voices, without the video, being fast forwarded through and reversed before finally being shown... it would have been more enjoyable. The 45 minute Q&A was interesting to hear, and it was nice to be able to see the scenes they were talking about and link the anecdotes together. It would have been nicer, however, if I hadn't had to sit there for two and a half hours before the film actually started.

So, to the film. I'm not going to waffle for too long about it. It is ultimately a Mission: Impossible film. You know there's going to be good action and an entertaining story. It does do a lot of things you've seen before, but that's not really a problem as they all work again and again.

Simon Pegg is always going to be the best thing about any M:I movie he's in. He was hilarious in the Q&A and he's hilarious in the movies. I love the honesty of Benji. Every time something ridiculous is about to happen I love his little shocked face and the fact that he will point it out.

Just to put this out there... the 'stache is disturbing. [13/07]


Skyscraper [16/07]


Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again ★★★★☆

[Film number 100 overall!]


Five years after the events of Mamma Mia!, Sophie learns about her mother's past while pregnant herself.


Be still my beating vagina indeed... I think that every time I see Andy Garcia, and this time was no exception. But no more of that or I'll start drooling on the keyboard.

One thing that made me click with the movie is that we all know a Harry, Bill and Sam in their younger forms. In fact it gave me a few little traumatising flashbacks, but luckily I was soon moved on by the singing.

I'm very pleased that Pierce's singing was hidden within group pieces or as mildly rhythmic speaking. Pierce, I love you, but no! The singing is amazing throughout and listening to Cher, well, wonderful. The songs were all lovely, toe tapping and smile inducing. If nothing else, then this movie is just a brilliant chance for some karaoke.

I think that my favourite thing is Christine Baranski and Julie Walters together. They're just perfect, and how I see myself being in the future... hell, I'm almost there right now.

For a moment I really wanted to give this five stars as it was immensely enjoyable but the flaws just leave me cold on that last star. Howard Stark feels to me like the weakest out of the cast, I wasn't overly keen on him in the first one either. At several times in the movie I felt like I was watching people standing in front of a green screen, I don't know if they were or if it was just the way it was shot, but it certainly felt distracting. Lastly, if you turned the singing and dancing back into normal dialogue scenes I don't feel like you're left with much of a film, the story is just padded out with what everyone is there to see.

But like I say, it's a good watch. It is emotional and it does instil you with a warm feeling. At one point I thought I was going to actually audibly cry. There are definitely enough good moments in it to make it a must watch. [20/07]


Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again [24/07]


Searching - Unlimited Screening ★★★★★


After his 16-year-old daughter goes missing, a desperate father breaks into her laptop to look for clues to find her.


I enjoyed this film a lot. Plain and simple. I'm laying it out there for you before I waffle about anything. Originally I put it in as 4½ stars, but then I started to ponder... there's actually nothing wrong with this film as far as I'm concerned. The only reason I'd knocked off that half star was because it didn't leave me buzzing in the same way my other 5 star picks had... but that wasn't fair at all.

Do we know if this is the first film to be presented this way? I like it, and in a technology driven society it shows the power it all holds over us and just how different our lives are online and IRL.

If you spend as much time online as I do, or you have kids that do, then this is almost verging on your own personal horror movie. Afterwards it does occur to you just how little your two lives cross paths. Before this film you'd probably say that was a good thing, afterwards... hmm.

It's a little disorienting getting used to the different bits of the screen in laptop form, which I found a bit strange considering that's how I'm used to that sort of visual. But you end up searching the screens for clues and hints just like Dad is. I particularly enjoyed the scene in his brother's house.

This won't appeal to everyone, it's verging on being niche, but if you find it even remotely intriguing then you should give it a go. [24/07]


Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation ★★★★☆


Count Dracula and company participate in a cruise for sea-loving monsters, unaware that their boat is being commandeered by the monster-hating Van Helsing family.


I know some people complain about how dreary some kids films can be when it comes to the summer holidays. They knock out a bunch of stuff to make your little munchkins get excited and nag you into going. If the nagging takes you to see Hotel Transylvania 3 then I don't think you'll need to worry about it being a dreary outing.

Is it groundbreaking stuff? No. Is it entertaining? Yes.

My toes were tapping. I was laughing. It's an entertaining film. You know where it's going, you know before it even starts if you've seen a trailer for it, and it doesn't matter.

I don't want to spoil it, but there was a part in the movie where I was laughing before something had quite happened... maybe that's what too many years of terrible life choices does to you... when it happens, if you aren't dancing in your seat then you're a monster. And not the fun kind like in the movie! [25/07]


Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation 3D [26/07]



I've went off and did a hunt for new films on the Cineworld app as July was feeling a little light on content. As it turns out, August is looking like a monster. Twenty three new ones listed, who knows how many we will get, although a lot of them look like they'd count for a family cinema. (That being said, at the time of writing this we're already down to 22 possibles as The Escape is only on at three Cineworlds.)

One thing's for sure, I'll be seeing The Meg 🦈, Ant-man And The Wasp and The Spy Who Dumped Me more than once unless the adverts proved to be shockingly inaccurate.

Happy watching everyone.

For the sake of continuity I'm not going to add films seen at other cinemas, or films where I won tickets, into the grand total as the whole point of this was to see how much I could abuse my Unlimited card, so...

Views in 2018: 86/104

Films seen in the place that must not be named: 1

Free ticket films: 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost

So You've Seen Deadpool...