Movies Of 2018 - June Recapped!

Looking at this month I can tell that it's going to very back end heavy. But everyone like a big booty so I'm sure it's going to be fine!

I'm already calling a no show on Hereditary this month. Everything in the trailer screamed nope very loudly, and I'm going to take it as a sign. (People have since told me that it really wasn't that bad, but I've decided life is too short for that nonsense.)

Let's talk about over scheduling shall we? The end of this month is pretty jam packed with new films. Six of them to be precise. All coming out on Friday 29th. This is also the day that starts my five day weekend. Doctor's orders. Take a break. So those six films aren't so much of a problem. In fact, it's happened very handily as under normal circumstances I wouldn't have been able to see one of them if I was at my own cinema.

Bring on the movies!


Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ★★★★☆


When the island's dormant volcano begins roaring to life, Owen and Claire mount a campaign to rescue the remaining dinosaurs from this extinction-level event.


I don't really think that you can go wrong with dinosaurs and action mixed together in a movie. They roar a lot, and if you're lucky they eat people. Spoiler incoming... with this movie, you're very lucky.

One a scale of all the movies this is probably third place for me behind Jurassic Park and Jurassic World. Which is quite fitting as it is basically the two movies squished together. Despite it being in third place I think it had one of the best scenes from the franchise... The end of the island... I can't even... 😢

There were a lot of little nods to things from previous films, and some blanks filled in to make the story. Everything was nice, and familiar, and the baby raptor footage in the training videos... well they're just the cutest!

There are some articles online about the trailers and while personally I didn't find any of them particularly gave away anything important I was struck by one of the points that was brought up. During the film it did actually leave me wondering too. You actually see the end of the film in the trailer. After you see the opening and see our scaly friend escape, you wait for the scene from the trailer to happen. It has a big impact on the screen, the danger, the consequences. So to find out that you don't see that until the very end of the movie... well, it was a bit odd.

I really felt like there were a few issues though in the rest of the movie. So much so that it probably shouldn't have four stars. But I'll watch it again and again despite that. If I'm being picky though... Rafe Spall, that accent was really causing me problems, but it's entirely possible that the billion or so viewings of Hot Fuzz have skewed my perspective on that one. Maisie would be my other major quibble, unless they're working up to something in the next film I'm not really sure why she was there, yes she was there to connect the dots but after that *shrug*. And why did she have such a bizarre obsession with Owen. Don't get me wrong, if I'd been in that film I'd have been hugging him at any random opportunity too, but it still seemed odd. My last and most troubling issue isn't about this current movie technically, it's about the next one. Where on Earth does this leave the future story line? Or maybe that's it. Maybe the next film is set on another planet, when the human race has had to relocate because of the dangerous outbreak of dinosaurs from all corners of the world and some billionaire has an idea to start up a new theme park. Maybe they could call it Jurassic Off World. [06/06]


Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom [10/06]


Little Mermaid Singalong ★★★☆☆


A mermaid princess makes a Faustian bargain with an unscrupulous sea-witch in order to meet a human prince on land.


There are just some things that probably shouldn't be seen again, and for me the Little Mermaid is one of them. Any Disney movie with singable song in is a win for me, and of course, throw in a singalong version and it's even better. It doesn't really change the fact that... perhaps... *hushed tones* this one isn't a particularly good film. I know. I'm sorry. But apart from the bits with the big three songs in, nothing overly exciting happens. And poor old Ursula's song really isn't that good either, and I love a good villain song.

By far the best bit about this whole event was the audience. There were 17 of us watching, including the Ariel from the lobby, three children, 1 father, with the rest exclusively women over the age of 25. But out of those it was the family of four in front of me that won the evening.

They were wonderful. Mum, dad, daughter of about three and baby. Never judge a book by it's cover, I honestly thought dad was there under duress... but no I'll get to that in a bit. Cue the trailers, and The Incredibles 2. Frozone comes on the screen and daughter goes "daddy he looks like you!" And yes, the similarity was uncanny. Daughter is laughing, mum is laughing, I'm laughing. Dad turns to her completely deadpan and says "it's not funny, we don't laugh about it." But we all did. The movie starts and daughter is humming the Disney tune as the logo comes up. It was one of the cutest things I've witnessed, until the film itself starts up. Dad is singing along with he rest of us, he's even reciting the words of the script to his daughter... with voices. People... that's family goals right there. [14/06]


Super Troopers 2 ★★★☆☆


When a border dispute arises between the U.S. and Canada, the Super Troopers are tasked with establishing a Highway Patrol station in the disputed area.


Yet another movie in a series to go and see, in this case though I didn't bother with the first one. If I'm honest it never really appealed to me. I like comedy, but this sort of humour feels like it grates at times. And partly it did.

I did laugh, and it did pass the time reasonable well, but it's not a great film. It's getting the third star for the montage in the middle where the troopers disguise themselves as Mounties and start pulling people over. I know, of all the things I could have found amusing I really don't know why it was that.

Some great support actors around and I was kind of surprised to see them in it. But worth a watch if you like that sort of thing. [17/06]


Ocean's 8 ★★★★☆ [Spoilers]


Debbie Ocean gathers an all-female crew to attempt an impossible heist at New York City's yearly Met Gala.


Does exactly what it says on the tin. A heist movie is probably right up near the top of my list for viewing pleasure, and the Ocean's series would in all likelihood take the top spots within it. You know you're going to be entertained. This did make me slightly nervous about seeing 8 because I was really looking forward to it. The way my luck goes that usually means that something is going to go wrong, but as it turns out, I didn't need to worry.

But it was yet another movie that brought some "technically" reviewers out of the woodwork. "Technically they wouldn't have gotten away with anything." Yes. We know. We're watching a film, not a documentary, how about we just concentrate on having some fun?

I was left momentarily reeling during the screening as I had a sudden realisation... I was missing a person. It hadn't occurred to me that in the first trailer, and in the film she says she needs seven people. I think my brain just auto-compensated her as number eight. So it was when they reveal the plan that I do the count and realise that, wait, there ARE only seven of them there. At this point it didn't even occur to me that there were eight people's names in the trailers, or that when you see them "incognito" on the tube in the trailer that Anne Hathaway is right there with them. All in all that made for a nice twist that my brain had somehow managed to miss.

The only technicality I'm going to call is that with Chen doing some acrobatics that technically brought it up to Ocean's 9.

While it used some of the same... strategies(?)... that we saw in the other films it was still a very entertaining watch. You still get that excitement from seeing them get away with the goods.

Everyone seemed to work really well in the parts they had. The only glaring exception for me was James Corden. I don't mind him as an actor (there's something seriously wrong with you if you don't like him as Craig in Doctor Who), but I understand he isn't everyone's cup of tea. Even from the trailers I was unsure of his role in this. After seeing the film I'm still unsure about it. He didn't sit right for me and I honestly don't understand why they didn't go for someone slightly more serious in the role.

I was pleasantly surprised by the audience too. I had expected a slightly female dominated audience, perhaps more couples, but actually I was outnumbered by small groups of lads and single male viewers. It's nice to see that this is appealing to lots of different people. [18/06]


The Incredibles 2 - Secret Unlimited Screening 8 ★★★★★ [I probably can't avoid spoilers for this one]


Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) is left to care for the kids while Helen (Elastigirl) is out saving the world.


Talking to friends about what this one could be was a roller coaster. Lots of us were hoping it would be Skyscraper, but our realistic guesses were somewhere nearer previous secret screening offerings. Films that looked good but were probably not going to make massive waves on their own. We mused on the possibility of The Incredibles 2, but it didn't get much further than "that would be the dream" kind of thinking.

I have never attended a screening that filled me (pretty much everyone) with so much glee. Glee is the only appropriate word there because I had a smile on my face the whole way through.

14 years of waiting and I wasn't disappointed. For me, this one was much more enjoyable than the first. I can't deny that that's partly from the rush of getting to see it before friends do and I get to rub it in their faces... yes I know. No I won't grow up.

Skip forward to getting out of the cinema after 10pm. What? How?! The film itself runs at just under 2 hours long. That's a long time to get a kid to sit still. Hell, that's a long time to get me to sit still. There are certainly parts of the film that could have been trimmed down. Some of them made little sense to me, and some just seemed unnecessary. That being said, it didn't detract from the enjoyment.

Neither did the fact that the villain was rather predictable, as was "big twist". Had this been a new movie with no previous incarnation to give me expectations then I'm not sure how I'd have felt about it. At a guess I probably would have been disappointed. The rush of what it was has probably helped the movie over these issues.

Months ago I joked that I would have just watched a movie of Jack-Jack and his powers. That feeling hasn't changed. Every time I see this film I will be giggling and laughing so hard at that I may embarrass myself. Jack-Jack and that raccoon stole the show. A whole screen full of grown adults wheezing and crying with laughter is something to behold.

Throughout the whole 2 hours little Jack-Jack is definitely the bright spot that put a grin on my face. The raccoon incident it definitely the top scene for me. Auntie Edna came into her own, and I feel like they were channeling some Baby Herman from Roger Rabbit when they came up with that scene. What had me mesmerised though was when Lucius/Frozone gave Jack-Jack a ball of ice to eat. The attention to detail had me a little speechless, just try and look at the lens effect on that sphere of ice and tell me it's not amazing. [20/06]


Avengers: Infinity War [27/06]


Patrick ★★★★☆


Sarah is a young woman whose life is in a bit of a mess. The last thing she needs is someone else to look after. Yet, like it or not, her Grandmother has bequeathed her a very spoiled pug - Patrick. Surely she must have had her reasons?


There were all sorts of things thrown into this movie that I wasn't expecting. Some over the top and some real life and tricky things. But all of them came together well and made a surprisingly enjoyable film.

No matter who you are, I'm sure there's something in there that you'll be able to identify with. A dog that won't listen to you. Trying to train your body to do something it really doesn't want to do. Going on a date with a moron.

I cried at it. Of course I did. But it was a lovely film. I don't know how it would do on second viewing now that I know what happens, but I wouldn't mind watching again to find out. [29/06]


Tag ★★★★☆


A small group of former classmates organise an elaborate, annual game of tag that requires some to travel all over the country.


When you imagine yourself in certain scenarios there's a big difference between how you see it going and how reality lets it play out. The prime example is this film... we all want to be the Jerry (Jeremy Renner), but it's much more likely that we're one of the other four guys. Less precise and strategic, more haphazard and crazed. If I'm being really honest, I'd probably turn into an Anna in this situation.

I really enjoyed this one, laughter is great therapy. Some of the humour is a little dark at times, but it just gave an extra layer to the flow of the story, and made the ending that much more... intriguing..?

There isn't a great deal to say about this one in all honesty. It does what it says on the tin. It's a very entertaining game of tag that had me laughing out loud. A very good way to pass the time. [29/06]


The Bookshop ★★★☆☆


Set in a small town in 1959 England, it is the story of a woman who decides, against polite but ruthless local opposition, to open a bookshop, a decision which becomes a political minefield.


As this one wasn't on at my local I'd seen very little about it before hand, so I had no clue what to expect. What I saw was a terribly believable portrayal of a small community.

Obviously I'm a book lover, so the first time I saw the bookshop getting a delivery I was filled with a lovely warm feeling... which was stolen from me piece by piece as we worked through the film.

It was a nice little film to watch, even if it did induce crying... alright, some proper severe blubbing. I'm glad I got the opportunity to see it, but I feel like it's rather niche. I'm not entirely surprised it wasn't on at my local cinema, but I'm not going to say it too loud because I'd still rather they showed everything there! [30/06]


Adrift ★★★☆☆


A true story of survival, as a young couple's chance encounter leads them first to love, and then on the adventure of a lifetime as they face one of the most catastrophic hurricanes in recorded history.


I'm not quite sure why true life seafaring films seem to be popular at the moment, but they're interesting tales. In Adrift's case it's also pain inducing. On more than one occasion everyone in the screening was sucking air through their teeth and wincing at the screen.

This is a tricky one. I enjoyed it, but at the same time it leaves me a bit... meh. I found the story very interesting, but I didn't particularly enjoy either of the main actors' contribution to the whole thing. I've changed the three stars to a two, and then back again... I'm still not really sure how I feel about it. [30/06]


Leave No Trace ★★☆☆☆


A father and his thirteen year-old daughter are living in an ideal existence in a vast urban park in Portland, Oregon, when a small mistake derails their lives forever.


Another interesting tale. But it was such a contradiction. Showing insights into the characters, and yet not exploring them very deeply. And more bizarrely to me, interesting but somehow it felt slightly empty as a film. Reflecting on it now I don't feel like I saw a complete film. [30/06]


Sicario 2: Soldado ★★★☆☆


The drug war on the U.S.-Mexico border has escalated as the cartels have begun trafficking terrorists across the US border. To fight the war, federal agent Matt Graver re-teams with the mercurial Alejandro.


So... I'm beginning to think that if I haven't heard of a film franchise then I probably shouldn't worry about catching up with the previous ones. We had an Unlimited screening of this one and I've left it off my listing because I walked out 15 minutes into the movie. This is nothing on the quality of the film. There are three reasons that contributed to me leaving: the start of the showing wasn't until 8.15pm, there were excessive trailers/ads, and I disliked the first one so much that in my mind I already hated the second.

I knew I'd give it another go, and this second time was much more successful. (It didn't hurt that the seats were much more comfortable than the ones in Bristol.)

I'm not sure that there's much to say about it though. I mainly gave it three stars because I enjoy some mindless violence in my movies and Benico Del Toro is able to perform it perfectly. In all honesty it should probably get two stars. I didn't feel like there was much of note in the storyline, and nothing really seems like it gets resolved as such. And the ending... I will not be watching a third. [30/06]



As I mentioned, I cheated on my local Bristol Cineworld with another one when I had a few days off, and I'm sorry (not sorry) to say I liked it. Some of you might have seen it on my Twitter feed. Actual seats, no flippy nonsense. And oh my goodness they were comfortable! I wasn't fidgeting to get comfy. My drink wasn't constantly tipping over in the ridiculously designed cup holders. Almost everything was wonderful, and better than my cinema.

But the thing that wasn't makes all the difference. Out of all the staff I encountered, only two were cheerful and helpful, the others were polite but didn't engage or crack a smile. And while I wish that Bristol had those comfy seats with masses of leg room I think I can do without them so long as there's some great staff to banter with. That being said though, Cineworld... contactless payment guys... take that step into the twenty-first century.

Happy watching everyone.

Views in 2018: 79/92

Cinemas: 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

So You've Seen Deadpool...

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost