Fear, The Silent Killer



I'm already a fan of Jeffrey Deaver, so when I saw Solitude Creek on Netgalley I had to give it a try. He produces consistently good books, and I binge read the Lincoln Rhyme series after seeing the film (knowing of course that they would be so much better). I had however only read one of the Kathryn Dance books (The Sleeping Doll) before I had a little holiday from reading crime novels. This is number four in the series, I'm sure I would have missed some things by not reading two and three, by on its own it is a very enjoyable read.

When a tragedy happens at a venue in Monterey Peninsula that leaves some dead and many injured it sends the community reeling. The patrons had come to have fun, but when they smell smoke and the alarm is raised, panic ensues. They run from the supposed scene of the fire only to find that the fire exits are blocked. Fear takes over. Panic follows, and by the time they discover there's no fire it's too late, the stampede has killed them.

Kathryn Dance ends up at the crime scene and her instincts tell her there's something amiss. She starts to investigate and discovers that the whole incident was orchestrated by a man who enjoys turning people's own fear against them, and he's not finished.

Deaver draws you in to the book with a few storylines entwined, it keeps you interested, and as if that wasn't enough he also throws a few curve balls in there too.

My favourite part, and possibly the most terrifying bit, is the fact that it is entirely plausible. Such a simple idea but taken to a whole new level. Everyone has fear, but until you are forced to confront the fears you didn't realise you had, you don't know what it'll do to you.

Solitude Creek is a great read and I'd recommend it to any crime thriller junkies. Whether they were designed so that they could be read alone or in the series I don't know but it does read well on its own. I will however be going back to read the others in the series straight away... and check all my emergency exits are working properly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost

So You've Seen Deadpool...