As Time Goes By

Everything changes. I had my little TV ramble and now I'm going to have a music ramble.

Back in my day if I wanted to listen to music on the go I had to clip my walkman to my belt... and take a big bag to hold all the cassettes if I wanted a lot of variety!

90 minutes of music, with an interval of course, that was all we got in one session. I do remember records but the cassette tape was very much my medium. I can remember my first few singles, all of which were on vinyl, Barcelona by Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe, Kylie... I think it was I Should Be So Lucky and Luciano Pavarotti's Nessun Droma. I know that's a very odd mix there. I started to get cassettes roughly around Now 23 and branched out in to Take That. Then the CD singles from Woolworths, Peter Andre, Babylon Zoo and a variety of Spice Girls. Of course my taste in music has got better... that is only my opinion of course. I now listen to everything from opera to heavy metal, and of course I've gone from CDs to MP3s.

I of course have developed my technology too and the music world has changed. The walkman turned into a discman, to a small 2gb MP3 player, to a Creative Zen MP3 to the iPod of course. My "boombox" [which was also portable with the use of four D sized batteries... who uses them anymore?] with its twin cassette to a slightly bigger sleeker one with a CD player. Next was a mini hifi... just the one cassette in this one, a sign of the moving times. Eventually I got a large hifi made up of seperates... I think this was my favourite as I had a three disc CD/DVD changer... I want another one but cant find one anywhere. After that I abandoned the music system and just used my computer, iPod and docking stations around the place.

In my pocket I carry around my entire music collection. If I was going to do the same back in my cassette days and I had the same size collection as now I'd need a truck to take it around. So I guess not all progress is bad, well apart from modern pop... I'm not entirely convinced by that bit of "progress".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost

So You've Seen Deadpool...