I Can Haz Comfy?

Some days you just need that one thing, the one thing that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. Now, if you thought I had trouble with favourite lists before... this one is going to put the others to shame.

I love food, I love to cook it and I love to eat it. It amazes me how I still manage to enjoy a lot of foods even thought there are so many things I don't eat [and shouldn't eat].

Spanish, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Caribbean. I'm game for most cuisines to be honest. The only things I wont see on my list any time soon are creepy crawlies, squelchy things [octopii etc] and a very wide selection of vegetarian dishes.

I suppose this is essentially the last supper discussion isn't it? How would you cut your list down? Just refine it. It's not about the gourmet dishes [most of the time], it's those every day things that make you smile.

A toasted sandwich - But it's not that simple. It has to be made, HAS, to be made in a Breville sandwich toaster. The edges get nice and crunchy, the explosion of steam and the escaped cheese that you inevitably have to chisel off the machine. To me it's a chicken, ham, cheese and marmite Brevilled sandwich... now I've just made myself upset because I don't own my own Breville.

Ben & Jerry's Vermonster - Maple syrup ice cream with caramelised pecans... I can eat a B&J tub of ice cream without blinking but this is the only one I enjoy all the way through. Why oh why can't I get it anywhere anymore?!

Jambalaya - Homemade. I love cooking it, simple precision cooking. There are a couple of different versions but I like to make mine with chorizo. Each batch turns out differently... one day I'll learn to measure things, but that kind of takes the fun out of everything!

Lasagna or cannelloni - I know they're two different things but they're essentially the same... lasagna is just lazy cannelloni. I can't be bothered with cannelloni tubes myself, too fiddly for me, but my Mum does it perfectly. My lasagna however is better than hers. Don't tell her I said that though, the only reason mine's better is that she stops grating cheese... there's her problem, she stops... I don't bother!

Naan bread - Perfect doughy naan bread, with chicken tikka masala sauce to dip it in. My new local curry place has the most epic naan I have had. Don't go sullying it with coconut and onions... plain naan, cooked to perfection.

So five... I'm not doing bad considering when I started this list two days ago I only had the first two... I started typing this about an hour ago and I got three more! I'm on a roll!

Meat & potato soup - That's it... steak meat and potatoes in a beef stock. Nothing more nothing less. I watch Mum making it and I still don't know how she makes it taste so good with so few ingredients. The rule is that she has to make enough for three large bowls, and a serving of seconds for me and then lunch for the next day, all served up with fresh baked ciabatta.

I've just spent ten minutes staring at the wall trying to think of the last four... I told you this would be difficult.

Aromatic crispy duck pancakes - But no spring onion in them... I'm not a monster! A giant over filled pancake.

Crispy bacon - Always streaky, never back. Repeatedly turned so that it stays relatively flat. If you put it in a sandwich, one side buttered the other spread with ketchup and you always lay the bacon on the butter side so it melts more.

Grrr two spots left...

Yorkshire puddings - Homemade, although Aunt Bessie's will do in an emergency. They'll be frowned upon but the need for a Yorkshire will outweigh the sin.

Caramel buttons from Hotel Chocolat - Thank goodness I don't get these more than twice a year because I would binge eat them until death by chocolate was put on my headstone. Tesco thankfully discontinued a fantastic cheap alternative. I currently live a five minute walk from a Tesco and if they still sold them I'd be putting my shoes on now and finding my purse.

So that's ten... I'm now massively hungry for a lot of things I can't have instantly... I'm just going to sit and be sad about that for a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost

So You've Seen Deadpool...