Twas The Night Before Christmas...

... and all through the house, people were reading the Radio Times and working out what to watch on the TV over the festive season.

I still haven't brought my Radio Times yet, I'll have to try and get one tomorrow... not that it's really needed... Disney, Superheroes, an abundance of kids films, ridiculously long soaps and Doctor Who (possibly the only thing worth watching these days). I remember having a list as long as my arm to record, but the last few years "normal" TV channels leave a lot to be desired. So here's my favourite episodes and films that you should watch if you want some Christmas cheer.

Vicar of Dibley - Christmas Dinner:

I think this is probably my favourite TV Christmas special. In general VoD is great but this one fills me with joy every time I watch it.

Geraldine being the kind soul that she is agrees to having dinner at a parishioners house, a second invitation causes a problem, but the guilt of turning someone down snowballs. Soon she's involved in four full Christmas dinners in one day.

Apart from its general VoD humour I think it sums up the seasonal over eating that we all subject ourselves to, although maybe not to getting a lift in a tractor level. I think we all know that feeling of taking a bite out of a sandwich at tea time on Christmas Day and thinking, "probably best I don't do that again".

Big Bang Theory - Bath Item Gift Hypothesis:

A bit of Sheldon at his finest. Penny has got the guys Christmas presents but Sheldon, who isn't familiar or comfortable with exchanging gifts, goes with the guys to find potential items to exchange with her.

But how do you solve the problem of not knowing how much to spend? Well you buy everything just in case. Sometimes though, everything still isn't enough and that is when you give the ultimate gift, a hug.

Yet again, something we can all identify with, what on earth should we buy for people at Christmas? I wish I had an answer for you, but after 34 years I still have no idea!

Die Hard 2 - Die Harder:

Now I have to admit that this one was a tough decision. Most people automatically think about the first film, but I've plumped for number two. While 1 has Alan Rickman with his sexy accent, gun holsters made out of Christmas tape and possibly the first, and best Christmas jumper, 2, doesn't have a hot guy with an accent, or an improvised Christmas jumper and I don't think it has Christmas tape... but it does have payback. Holly tasing the reporter on the plane... priceless.

To be fair though, if you're going to watch Die Hard at Christmas you might as well watch both... and if you're going to watch two you might as well watch four... and no you can't watch five, we don't talk about the last one.

Home Alone 2 - Lost In New York:

Another one that was difficult to call. 1 obviously is a classic Christmas film, but 2 for me is where Marv really comes into his own.

This time he doesn't get a nail through the foot [which is just as well because my foot hurts every time] or an iron to the face, but he does suffer a bit. Four bricks to the face, falls through the floor, slips into shelves of paint, gets electrocuted, has a bag of cement fall on his head, gets hit in the face with a metal column [that then falls on him], gets crushed by a falling tool chest, get set on fire [well the rope they're descending does], falls through some scaffolding and gets hit by several open cans of varnish.

Harry and Marv, the Pinky and Brain of the human criminal world.

Muppet Christmas Carol:

There are no words really, if someone were to ask me why I put it on the list my response would be "because, duh".

Singing, Gonzo as Dickens and Michael Caine... yup, Christmas in a film. Nothing else to say about it, this is the number one film to watch in the festive season.

Doctor Who:

You know me and Doctor Who... Love. It. So picking my favourite is a problem. It's either Runaway Bride or The Snowmen. Both have equally lame bad guys although obviously the minions of evil in the latter are awesome.

Probably if you take pros and cons into account I think Runaway Bride wins. The first time we meet Donna, and you've got to love Donna. The woman who saved the world, and did it with sass.

John Lewis Ad - The Journey:


This is still my favourite John Lewis ad, possibly Christmas ad. One Snowman journeys to the big city to buy Mrs Snowman some lovely accessories. It's just lovely.

Futurama - The Xmas Story:

He's making a list, he's checking it twice, but due to an error in factory settings almost everyone is naughty, not nice.

Fry longs for Christmas and goes out to get a fantastic present for Leela, but he doesn't heed their warning about being home before dark... that's Santa's time.

A classic tale of Christmas where everyone shaves off their hair to buy hair combs for each other and a merry band of robots goes on a Christmas robbery spree. Futurama is always a wacky combination of things and this episode is no exception to that rule.

---

There are lots of Christmas specials and it's hard to remember them all. To be honest, this list will probably change a bit every year, but these ones will always have a place on my Christmas playlist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

So You've Seen Deadpool...

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost