Reader's Instinct



When will I learn that I need to check before reading a book to see whether it is in a series or not? I feel like it'll happen again before this week is up... so, I read Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes which is number TWO in The Naturals series.

When a young woman is murdered and displayed for all to see on her university campus something seems awfully familiar. Dean recognises his father's handy work, but he's been locked up for his crimes, so who is out there copying on of the country's most infamous serial killers?

Cassie, Dean, Michael, Lia and Sloane are all Naturals, a collection of teen experts in profiling, emotions, deception and analysis. There's a new FBI agent working with them, and she's aiming for change, can the team push this aside and use their skills to stop the killer?

So as I said at the top, I cleverly read a book out of order... again... I really should have learnt by now! Luckily for me this is another one that reads perfectly well as a stand alone novel. (I have now ordered the first one to make sure I haven't missed anything.) I'm sure I'm going to love the first one as well because this was one of the best YA thrillers I've read in a while. You've got action and intrigue and a while mix of characters, obnoxious, loveable, you'd be hard pushed to not find someone to identify with or love.

When I started reading I completely forgot the book was YA. I actually stopped not far in because I thought I'd got the wrong book. It reads like an adult book, and why not!? It doesn't talk down to the reader, which you might expect it to when its involving police procedure. Although the book is told from Cassie's point of view (with the occasional bit of UNSUB thrown in) there are some very strong make characters, and I'd recommend it to any readers who were 14+. The only issue might be the cover. Now, the proof copy I have has a nice neutral image and would leave you assuming an open readership. I did however look it up the see the other books in the series and came across covers featuring a girl looking a bit moody... and a bit like she could have been on the cover of a Martina Cole book. If those are the covers then I think it's a real shame because it instantly limits your audience because boys are going to assume it's a book for girls.

It's difficult to put my finger on why this book was so good, I honestly just think it ticked all the boxes. Characters, good. Storyline, good. Twists, oooooooh good. There was nothing too over the top, there aren't teens running around toting guns, they're resourceful and it comes across as a believable thriller. I think the fact that I finished it and instantly went to buy the first one sums it up. It's a great exciting read and I can't wait to start recommending it to people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies Of 2018 - August Recapped!

Fox Investigates: A Whiff Of Mystery by Adam Frost

So You've Seen Deadpool...